Pages

Friday 22 February 2008

Defenders of democracy in Armenia

I thought I would never see it again. It’s like 20 years ago, the same atmosphere in Yerevan. Despite all differences, in this crucial time for the future of Armenian democracy people seem united, they refuse to be intimidated by authorities. They share food, tea, they dance, they spend night in Liberty sq, they feel togetherness, exactly like it was 20 years ago.

I am proud of you, guys. I am proud of my parents. I am proud of my dad who after hearing in the morning that police announced “rally is not sanctioned by authorities” and “there may be unforeseen consequences”, instead of being intimidated, immediately went out of the flat and joined the crowd. Like thousands of you. You did not get intimidated, instead – you danced, tens of thousands of you. I am writing these words, and feel very emotional now. I feel proud of being associated with you.

You are great, people!


P.S. And it is so encouraging to see so many young people around. (photo via Hetq)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi Artmika!!

So how are things there now??? I haven't really heard any more about it. I hope the people are ok and there wasn't any more violence.

Rhiannon.

artmika said...

Hi Rhiannon,

At the moment, things are going peaceful. But you know, any time there may be new developments and turn of events. Unfortunately Armenia does not seem to be in BBC's 'news list', they are mainly silent about what's going on in Yerevan. I will post updates in my blog in case of any significant development.

I really hope that we will not witness more violence, although it would be almost a miracle if we avoid it...